Last year at Windows Phone 8 launch event, when Microsoft announced that the WP7 devices won’t get an upgrade to the Windows phone 8 OS, there was a great disappointment among the Lumia users. However, Microsoft assured that it was committed to the Windows Phone 7 OS, and would support it with Windows Phone 7.8, an update that would provides a lot of features of WP8.
Windows Phone 7.8 update will add new features like a resizable live tiles on the start screen UI, as found in Windows Phone 8. The update brings re-branding of Zune to Xbox Music and the new Xbox Games icons have been changed, plus the Bing lock screen wallpaper feature. If you’re looking for an official statement on what’s being packaged into this update, here is a list from the two parties involved:
- New homescreen experience with more room for your Live Tiles. Now resizable.
- Set the Bing image of the day as the Lock Screen wallpaper.
- Pocket and child Lock screen Security
- 20 new accent theme colours
- Bluetooth Share (for DRM free media files)
- Cinemagraph add-on to create blend and photo and movie-like animation, creating photos that are alive
- New camera lenses to remove unwanted objects in your photos such as passers-by or people on the edge of the shot the spoil the photo.
- Updated Contacts Transfer application
- Updates Contact Share application
- Ringtone Maker application
As of now, Nokia didn’t reveal the exact dates the update will be rolled out for various Lumia models, but did confirm all phones should receive the update within first three weeks of February.
There’s no word yet from Samsung and HTC on Windows Phone 7.8 update plans for their devices.